Saturday 26 July 2008

Too old and out of shape!

So I've been playing in a local brass band. I started out playing the E-flat bass and had to give it up for a while, but they asked if I could help out with a couple of carnival parades on Euphonium. I was so happy that they wanted me to continue playing with them even though I don't have the time to commit to two nights a week rehearsal. Well, tonight was the first of the parades and I realized a few things... The parade was only 2 miles and it was mostly flat but I am totally lacking in strength in my upper arms. The marching itself wasn't too bad but actually holding up my euphonium to play for the ENTIRE 2 miles was beyond my abilities. I made it through though and I am so thankful for that! 10 years ago, I could have done that with my eyes closed. Also, waiting until the day of the parade to look at the music for the first time... NOT a good idea! Oh man! I used to be a much better player but tonight I stunk! Next time, I'm going to know the music better so I can actually play the songs properly!

I guess I'm not as young as I used to be!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Well I have to say that I think that it is so great that you are keeping up with, and utilizing your talents. I could take a lesson from you. Good luck building up those biceps!

aubs33 said...

lol, I would have felt the same way. You are awesome for trying that though...wow so impressive to have a chance to use your musical talents.

aubs33 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.