Saturday 21 February 2009

No pictures today

I just thought I would jump on really quick and tell you all how weird my children are...

They are here playing on the floor and they have this squishy stress ball thingy that looks like the earth that they call "cuddle world". Well Natalie tossed "cuddle world" across the room and Robbie crawls over to it on his hands and knees barking like a dog and picks it up in his teeth and brings it back to her. This was all his idea with no provocation from Natalie (which is usually the cause of him being mistreated and doing such things). They have kept this up for a good 20 minutes now and Robbie is loving the "fetching" game. Now Robbie is throwing the ball and Natalie is fetching.

Also they have a new favorite TV show that they have to watch after school. It is totally not a show that you would think a 5 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old would voluntarily want to watch. It is, "How Clean is Your House?" with Kim Woodworth and Aggie MacKenzie. They hear the theme music and they stop what they are doing and come running. Robbie has endearingly started calling the show "Excusting House" (translated "Disgusting House" and is always exclaiming, "that house is excusting!"). I'm absolutely terrified if we are visiting someone he is going to say that their house is excusting (however, I have yet to meet someone here whose house is in such a state, there is a difference between clutter and filth). But I am a bit anal about my house and my friend Gena has decided to call me Monica because she says I remind her of Monica from Friends. Ok, I'm not THAT bad, but I do like a neat and tidy house and I do have help twice a month to keep it from getting ahead of me (We have a 5 bedroom house). I don't spend all my time cleaning and I have some paperwork that is starting to pile up to the point of scaring me and don't even go into my laundry room or my stamping room, I've been pretending those rooms don't exist and I could stand to vacuum a little more often. My toilets and kitchen on the other hand have to sparkle and we've had this cough going through the house so the Clorox has been brought out to clean doorknobs, light switches and other germ grabbers.

Anyway, it occurred to me the other day that maybe I shouldn't be letting them watch the show so often because as the kids were playing in the bath tub, Natalie found a Q-tip and was pretending to take swabs to check for salmonella! Also both kids are now terrified of germs and openly talk about E-coli and Listeria. We need to find a balance. I want my kids to practice good hygiene but I also don't want them to be afraid to have fun and get a little dirty.

1 comment:

Bush Family said...

Hi Karen! I'm reading through old posts (clearly) and just had to comment on this one! I love that show and think that your kids swabbing the house is adorable! They are very smart to pick up on such things. :) Tyler's new favorite show is Roary the Racing Car which I understand is a british show? We had only 7 episodes on our DVR and we've watched each of them at least 50 times. Have you ever seen it?
Hugs and prayers and thanks for sharing the birth story! ~Heather